“When I liberate myself, I liberate others. If you don't speak out ain't nobody going to speak out for you.”
~ Fannie Lou Hamer
Speaking daily affirmations have become an integral part of my self-love journey. I used to believe that it was a nonsense to think saying some words could change my perspective of myself, but I was wrong. The words we speak give us power we never imagined we could have. I encourage you to take the chance and speak one (or all) of these phrases into existence.
There are five categories and 25 affirmations total, in order to give you options as you take a leap of faith and try to love and accept yourself a little more today.
1. Affirmations for Self-Love
- I love myself even when it’s hard.
- I love my beautiful, gorgeous hair because it is my crown.
- My skin is radiant and glorious.
- My nose and lips are blessed by my ancestors.
- My body is my home, my temple, and my friend.
2. Affirmations for Self-Acceptance
- I accept myself and all my flaws because I am perfectly imperfect.
- My skin can never be too dark or too light, it is always just right.
- I do not need to agree with my past actions nor enjoy my present circumstances to accept myself.
- I no longer compare myself to others, because I am who I am, I am where I am, and I will be who I want to be.
- I am not my mistakes nor my successes. I accept myself unconditionally.
3. Affirmations for Self-Discipline
- Today I will focus on my goals and take breaks as needed.
- If I become distracted, I will refocus and do what needs to be done.
- I have the discipline to accomplish my goals, even when unmotivated.
- I take the necessary steps to prepare for the actions I must take.
- I manage my time to the best of my ability.
4. Affirmations for Self-Compassion
- I am patient with myself when I make mistakes, because I can learn them.
- I have value inherently because I am alive.
- I deserve love and kindness.
- I am just as perfect and imperfect as everyone else.
- I am allowed to rest, recharge, and recover.
5. Affirmations for Black Women Joy
- I deserve to be happy and experience good things.
- I know that having fun is just as important as work.
- I am worthy of happiness even when I am not being productive.
- I am free to express myself creatively and no one can tell me any different.
- I am free to feel positive emotions and no one can take that away from me.
Our words are powerful and often shape how we view ourselves, other people, and the world around us. Black Joy is a movement for Black people to take note of all the things that make us happy, to do what makes us happy, and to show the world that our lives are worth living.
With the many, many negative stereotypes and beliefs towards Black people, even within our own communities, today is the day to prioritize living the wonderful lives we deserve.
You can see more Black Joy content on my TikTok (@blkgirljoy) and using #BlackJoy #BlackJoyProject or following any Black creators across social media who are just living their best lives.